Girlie E. Gandolfos,
Ina S. Irabon Related Institution
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology - Ospital ng Makati Publication Information
Publication Sub Type
Philippine Journal of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility
Ovarian cancer is the second most common gynecologic cancer worldwide and the six most common cancer among females. Germ cell tumorbs are the most common ovarian neoplasm in the first two decades of life constituting approximately two-thirds of all ovarian tumors. Malignant germ cell tumors constitute one-third of germ cell origin tutors and two-thirds of all ovarian malignancy in this age-group. This paper presents a case of a 19 year-old nulligravid who presented at the emergency room with abdominal pain, and was intraoperatively diagnosed with yolk sac tutor of the right ovary, stage 1A mature cystic teratoma of the left ovary. She subsequently underwent unilateral salpingooophorectomy and contralateral oophorocystectomy, left. Patient is advised chemotherapy postoperatively, with Bleomycin, Etoposide and Paclitaxel. This paper discusses the incidence, risk factors, prognosis and management of yolk of sac tutor in a young nulligravid.
1. Parkin, D , Bray, F , Ferlay, J , Pisani, P . "Global cancer statistics, 2002" 55, 74-108, 2005
2. Jha, R1 . "Jha S2 Study of malignant germ cell tutors with special reference to malignant ovarian germ cell tutors: 5 years experience" 2, 289-92, 2012
3. Laudico, AV , Medina, V , Lumague, MRM , Mapua, CA , Redaniel, MTM , Valenzuela, FG , Pukkala, E . 2010 Philippine Cancer Facts and Estimates. Philippine Cancer Society, 2010.
4. Templeman, CL , Hertweck, S. Paige , Scheetz, James P, Perlman, Sally E, Fallat, Mary E. "The management of mature cystic teratomas in children and adolescents: A retrospective analysis" , 2669-72, 2000
5. Whitecar, MP , Turner, S , Higby, MK . "Adnexal masses in pregnancy: A review of 130 cases undergoing surgical management"
American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 181, 19-24, 1999
6. Kalogeropoulos, A . Benign tutors of the ovaries. In: Gynecology Greece: University Studio Press, 1996. 233-49.
7. Caruso, PA , Marsh, MR , Minkowitz, S . "An intense clinicopathologic study of 305 teratomas of the ovary"
Cancer 27, 343-8, 1971
8. Salamat, MS . "Robbins and Cotran: Pathologic Basis of Disease, 8th Edition"
Journal of Neuropathology & Experimental Neurology 69(2): 2010
9. Smith, HO , Berwick, M , Verschraegen, CF . "Incidence and survival rates for female malignant germ cell tutors"
Obstet Gynecol 107(5): 1075-85, 2006
10. T de La Motte, Rouge , Pautier, P , Duvillard, P , Rey, A , Morice, P , Haie-Meder, C , Kerbrat, P , Culine, S , Troalen, F , Lhommé, C . "Survival and Reproductive Function of 52 Women Treated With Surgery and Bleomycin, Etoposide, Cisplatin (BEP) Chemotherapy for Ovarian Yolk Sac Tumor"
Annals of Oncology 19(8): 1435-41, 2008
11. Williams, SD . "Ovarian Germ Cell Tumors: An Update"
Semin Oncol . 25(3): 407-13, 1998
12. Zaloudek, C . University of California, San FranciscoYolk sac tutor of the ovary and extragonadal sites in females: Lesson learned from an unusual case.. San Francisco, California: 2008.
13. Willemse, P H , Aalders, J G , Bouma, J , Mulder, N H , Verschueren, R C , de Vries, E G , Sleijfer, D T . "Long-term Survival After Vinblastine, Bleomycin, and Cisplatin Treatment in Patients With Germ Cell Tumors of the Ovary: An Update"
Gynecol Oncol 28, 268-77, 1987
14. Nawa, A , Obata, N , Kikkawa, F , Kawai, M , Nagasaka, T , Goto, S , Nishimori, K , Nakashima, N . "Prognostic factors of patients with yolk sac tumors of the ovary"
Am J Obstet Gynecol 184, 1182-8, 2001
15. Wiltshaw, E , Gowing, N F , Stuart-Harris, R , Raju, S , Barker, G H . "Chemotherapy of Endodermal Sinus Tumour (Yolk Sac Tumour) of the Ovary: Preliminary Communication"
J R Soc Med 75(11): 888-92, 1982
16. Murugaesu, N , Schmid, P , Dancey, G , Agarwal , R , Holden , L , McNeish, I , Savage, P M, Newlands, E S, Rustin, GJ , Seckl , MJ . "Malignant Ovarian Germ Cell Tumors: Identification of Novel Prognostic Markers and Long-Term Outcome After Multimodality Treatment"
J Clin Oncol 24, 4862-6, 2006
17. Tomokazu, U , Hiroaki, K , Mikio, T , Kiyosumi, S , Kazuhiko, I , Akihiro, N , Fumitaka, K . "Long-term Outcome and Prognostic Factors for Yolk Sac Tumor of the Ovary"
Nagoya J Med Sci 70, 29-34, 2008-2008